Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thursday Tip Triad #12: Fighting Off Distractions

legitimate work at from home jobs divider

One of the biggest pitfalls of legitimate work from home jobs is the fact that there is no easy way to avoid distractions.  Between family matters, household chores and the temptations of the internet, it's incredibly easy to get side tracked.  The good news is that there are a few things that you can do help fend off these distractions.

1.  Only have programs open on your computer that directly relate to the task at hand.  This is something that I am terrible at doing, but when I do, it's a huge help.  At any given time I have 15+ tabs open on Firefox, plus IE running and an assortment of word documents as well.  Obviously having all those web pages at my fingertips cause my mind, and my mouse, to wander.

By closing out everything except what I'm working on, I'm able to get a lot more done because I'm not busy checking my blog stats, my comments, SwagBucks or anything else.

2.  Make a "To Do" list.  I know it sounds silly, but if you make a list of daily goals or tasks to accomplish you will get a lot more done.  It also helps to keep it short and sweet so that you won't be intimidated by it.  If you feel like you're going to be working all day, you're more inclined to put off getting started, but if you feel like you'll only be busy for a couple hours, you'll be a lot more willing to jump into your work day.

3.  Take short, but frequent, breaks to do something enjoyable.  Reward yourself periodically throughout your work day by doing things that you enjoy.  If you're a fan of Guitar Hero or Wii Fit, take 10-15 minutes after every hour of work you do to play around.  You'll find that these little rewards will keep you stimulated and motivated, plus getting up and moving away from your computer for a few minutes every hour is great for your health.

Working from home takes a lot more discipline than working in a brick and mortar job does, so don't feel bad if you find yourself having issues holding down a schedule or keeping on task.  Taking advantage of these tips will help you improve your focus and productivity while you take advantage of your legitimate work from home jobs and opportunities, which means that you'll see an improvement in your income as well, and that is bound to keep you motivated!
legitimate work at from home jobs signature

Other Tips You May Like:
* TTT #3: Motivation
* TTT #9: Simple Organization Tips

3 comments:

Gina said...

Great Blog!!

JPowell said...

Thanks Gina :)

The Freebie Addiction said...

I'm presenting you an award, even though it might be restricted to Friday followers only. But, who cares. You deserve one. lol

The post is on my blog, which I'm sure you may have seen.

Post a Comment