Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday Tip Triad #6: How to Price Your Proposal

legitimate work at from home jobs divider

Here we are again, another Thursday means another set of tips for how to successfully find and land legitimate work from home jobs and freelance gigs.  Last week we discussed how to form the bulk of your proposal on freelance projects like those featured on Elance, but this week we'll be talking about the part that everyone cares about - the Bid.

Coming up with competitive pricing and knowing how to best present your offer is a key part of landing freelance jobs.  I am not claiming to be an expert, but here is what I do and it seems to work well for me.

1.  Don't be afraid to ask for what you are worth.  I do not
water down my pricing just to get clients or projects because I want to make sure that I am making enough money to make things worth my time.  Right now I have a few clients that I took on at super low rates when starting out and I absolutely hate it.  My goal through the year is to replace them, or at least some of the time I spend working with them with work that pays better.

2.  Use the word "negotiable".  I always offer the option to negotiate my rates because I know that I ask for more than a fair number of overseas and even local freelancers do.  While some people may be willing to work for 1¢ per word, I am not, I am however willing to adjust my pricing slightly.  I will admit that I have been told a few times that my proposal is great but my fees are too high for the budget.  These people generally contact me later for higher budget projects though.

Always tell them that your rates are negotiable and provide several ways for them to contact you about your proposal and pricing.

3.  Be specific.  Being as specific as possible is the key to a good bidding breakdown.  In order to ward off any confusion you should be very clear and concise when pricing your work.  Restate exactly what you will provide and exactly what you will charge.  If the project may require additional expenses make an amendment for that as well.

For example, if you are designing their website you may want to include your actual bid for the project and then state that the client will also be responsible for any fees for images or fonts that they request.  If the project is just for the design make sure to state that installation of the layout is extra as well (and tell them how much extra).  Being detailed will keep the client from expecting more than you are willing to provide and will keep you from getting overworked and underpaid.

If you follow these tips when creating proposals and placing a bid on a project, you should see a pretty good response.  Even if you don't win the project you will find yourself in contact with a number of people who may want to use your services later on other projects.  Showing professionalism by providing contact information and crystal clear bids shows that you are serious about what you do which is attractive to most clients.


Next week: Breaking down the Bid. How to form your bids and take advantage of the above information.
legitimate work at from home jobs signature

No comments:

Post a Comment