Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursday Tip Triad #5: Forming Proposals When Bidding

legitimate work at from home jobs divider

When it comes to finding legitimate work from home jobs, freelancing really seems to be a great option.  Unfortunately, it can take a while to get a grasp on what to do and what not to do.  Once you've signed up for a site (whether it's Elance, Guru, oDesk or something else) you have to start creating proposals and bidding, but that process can be intimidating.

Several people have asked me for tips on how to write a good proposal, so here are a few tips!

1.  Provide a brief introduction.  Use the prospective client's name (or user name if their name is unknown) and comment on the fact that you would like to be considered for (insert project name).
"Hello JohnnyRox451,
I'm incredibly interested in your Content writing about Valentine's Day project and would love to work with you...."
2.  Keep it short and sweet.  These people are going through what may end up being dozens of proposals and they don't want to read a novel.  Freelance sites cap the length of bids for a reason.  Use bullet lists as opposed to paragraphs of text.  Only include information that is applicable to the project.
Bad Example - Bidding on Valentines job mentioned above
I have been freelancing for 17 years and have done a variety of written work as well as web design, sales, marketing and even phone based projects.  I also have experience as a virtual assistant.  I can type 60 words per minute, can do 10 key by touch, have used the internet for over 10 years and am very tech savvy.
Good Example - Bidding on Valentines job mentioned above

I have:
-17 years of freelance experience including writing
-60+ WPM typing speed
-Proficient internet research skills
-Excellent knowledge of top notch SEO writing strategies
The first example is harder to get the gist of, includes unnecessary info, is hard to read and is almost twice as long as the second example (317 characters v 172).

3.  Tell them your plan.  Anyone can say "Hey there, I'm awesome hire me because I rock!"  What a lot of people forget to do is explain is how they plan to rock this particular project in general.  For this particular hypothetical project you may want to consider something like:
What I will do:
-Provide well researched articles
-Provide perfect grammar and spelling
-Use your keywords X number of times total in (place 1), (place 2), (place 3) etc (You do not have to tell them everywhere you will use it, obviously.)
-Provide a quick turnaround for your project without compromising quality
-Make myself available for emergency contact
Again that's under 300 characters, so you have plenty of room for other information and your pricing as well.  More on the pricing portion of your bid next week.
legitimate work at from home jobs signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good tips. I'm just now thinking about changing my circumstances and work from home. I reviewed your website and it's encouraging. I hope once I get rid of my doubts and fears, and find my courage I might start earning some income from home like you. I'm just still not there yet...but I will look forward to you Motivational Monday!

JPowell said...

I was scared also...

My issue was more with doubting that money could be made from home in any manner other than phone based customer service or sales. I didn't think jobs that were based on typing (or writing) were real or attainable to a 23 year old woman with a 4 year old son and an incomplete college education.

I now know that I was just scared to fail even though I had nothing to lose.

If you are considering breaking into the work at home world, don't be afraid to take it slow. Pick a freelance site or sign up with TextBroker.com and get your feet wet. TB will hire most people in a couple of days and you can start writing and earning immediately in your spare time.

It will probably help boost your confidence :)

Don't be afraid to ask questions here or elsewhere and seek out help either!

Jamie said...

Great tips!

When I first started bidding on elance and lost bids I thought I should have won. I went back and looked at what I wrote for the proposals (I saved them in a word doc) and reading over it I never explained how I would complete their work. Duh I thought dumb, but it I was all excited with the bidding I just overlooked some simple stuff like that.
Also, I find sending a pre-bid to get more info and start speaking with the client has won me more bids.

Also, I am sure you will rock out the rest of the month and get to your goal.

Keep chugging...

JPowell said...

I don't think I've ever used a pre-bid question because the fact that it takes contacts to do annoys me haha

I ask questions through the message board though and that seems to help out. It also lets me know if the poster is active or not ;)

My first few bids were terrible also but you definitely learn as you go hehe

Theody said...

This may interest you if you like book reviews.
http://www.atlantic-pub.com ,I just finished mine & they paid:)

More jobs available on http://www.JournalismJobs.com

JPowell said...

Awesome! Congrats on that, I checked out the AP site but didn't find anything about paid book reviews.

The site looked really salesy though so I didn't look too hard hehe

Theody said...

I know...the site does need work :). However, I found it on the JournalismJobs.com site. Lots of jobs there for U.S residents.

The AP one was one of the few accepting international applicants :)

If you visit fundsforwriters.com, you'll find lots of information on various writers markets.

Post a Comment