Thursday, December 10, 2009

Freelance Work

Freelance work might sound like something you are incapable of, but I promise you that it's not. If I had known how simple it was I would have started doing it much sooner than I did. It has really been a great source of income for my family and I'm only getting started. There's not a day that goes by where I don't regret how long it took me to take the plunge and seriously start hunting down freelance work.
I had a bit of an ordeal today (accidentally locked myself out of the apartment!) so this is up later than I'd intended but I wanted to get this post up before I go to sleep.


Tips for Freelancing (The new Thursday tradition!)



1. Sell yourself. You can't get clients if you don't put yourself out there. The more you offer your services the more clients you will get. Don't get me wrong they won't come raining down on you but you won't get any at all if you don't try. I would say that I typically pick up 1 in every 10-15 clients I make a proposal to. I don't know if that's above or below average but I am happy with it.

2. Use freelance sites and message boards. There are oodles of them out there and chances are that if you are looking at this blog you are already on wahm.com using their forums. I have gotten a few solid clients from there that provide me with over $200 in income a month. I've also had a lot of success with Elance, which I showed last month by posting my payments page from them.

3. Don't sell yourself short. I have gotten plenty of jobs with Zero experience and you can too. It is important to be honest with the prospective client though, don't tell them you know what you are doing if you don't. Instead tell them you are "inexperienced but are a quick study and can follow directions with great ease".

Get More Tips for Freelancing next Thursday!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Great Tips! I love the "don't sell yourself short" tip. I do it a lot and I shouldn't. Very inspiring.

JPowell said...

Thanks so much Jamie! I'm glad you enjoyed it... I actually decided to make it a weekly thing since so many people had questions about how I am making so much money freelancing.

Selling yourself short can really hurt you. I didn't think that I was good enough to get freelance writing jobs, but I was wrong - if I had tried sooner I would be making even more than I already am.

The worst that can happen is that you try to get the job and don't :) You won't be any worse off than you were before haha

Sharon said...

I've got some committments right now that I have to give 120% too, but I plan to start doing this too! Great advice!

Post a Comment